Thursday, March 30, 2006

no title fits

this has been my worst week ever.

it all started on sunday when by chance i was near the football stadium in madrid, santa bernabeu (guess it´s the real madrid stadium). the match got over and these huge crowds came out. i was on my way to the metro station and i entered a street full of people. only later did i realize it was full of white people. i was with a friend who by chance has black skin. and all these 100´s of people, believe me, it was a wide street full of people, and all these 100´s of people started booing us. not like the booing we do at a cricket match, not like the booing we did at school during volleyball matches. this booing was full of hatred and violence. full of negative feelings. i thought they are going to attack me. i thought i was going to die.

tried to stay as calm as possible. tried not to run and tried not to show them my anxiety and fear. got out of the street and got into the first bus to get out of there.

45 minutes later it hit me. and i cried uncontrollably.

my question wasn´t and isn´t "why me?". it´s "why at all?"

now, after around 5 days i´m better. i don´t want to hate them. i don´t think i do. i don´t understand how people can be like this. they´re ignorant.

i still carry it with me, now a little deeper in my heart.

i ran to a friend, a good friend, who was there for me. thank god i have good friends who i can depend on. thank god!

no, she didn´t understand me. but i know that unless you experience it yourself you won´t understand it, you won´t feel it. i hope you never have to feel it. i hope no one ever has to feel it.

no family here, no ranveer. was broken. just wanted to get onto the first flight out of here to india. but i know i have to go on. and i will.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Olá Aswhini,
São os desafios que a Europa tem de enfrentar...e você estando aí.
É mesmo terrível. Graças a Deus, aqui no Brasil isso seria impensável.Assim como na Índia. Mas temos outros problemas... Desejo que passe logo a má impressão e que as boas coisas da Espanha retornem com toda força.
Um abraço e boa sorte
Carlos , em Belo Horizonte ensolarada

Anonymous said...

Dear Ashwini,
I know it was a horrible experience. But take it as an experience which will strengthen your personality to face this world which is full o discriminations! We learn from such encounters to be more and more nice to those who may not be as preveleged as we are. I hope
God will give you the necessary inner strength to survive in such situations! Love...

Anonymous said...

i feel share the views of "appa". its true, you become stronger, and understand speople more.

thang

Nive said...

Hi,
I am really glad that you and your friend are fine.
I love you so much and miss you!
Appa told me about Germany. I hope you can go. He also told me that you don't want anything from here.
I have sent you pics.
School has been so busy. I'm so glad we have spring break next week. I really need it! We are going to the GA aquarium on Monday. It is the biggest in the world. I am really excited.
I hope you are okay...I love you!
ummmaaaaaa.
Good Night, Sweet Dreams...

Anonymous said...

Hola Ashwini:

Siento mucho que te ocurriera algo así. No hay disculpa razonable para la gente que se comporta de ese modo. Espero que ese tipo de gente y ese tipo de situaciones no te impidan disfrutar de tu experiencia aquí.

Anonymous said...

Dear ashwini,
I have just checked my mail. I think these experiences make us stronger to face aworld where there is so much hatred.Well, and it teaches us the importance of love too. Take care, U are a strong girl. We ( Gladwin and me ) are always there . Love shailani

mcx said...

Hmm.. surreal! as you have said yourself it is not the momments of clarity that defines us rather the deceptions, I can only hope this rather rude momment of clarity shall not define u.
luv mcx

Anonymous said...

hola aswini, It is not one of those very pleasant experiences but all these would contribute into making you a more humane person and a strong person. lots of luv .
vaniakka

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashwini,
Unfortunately we all still experience such horrific things.I do understand what you went through to an extent...it's good that you are talking about it...sometimes that's all it takes.Sorry that you went through it all.But strangely enough these experiences will make you a stronger person,it also makes you appretiate the way we are brought up...i also believe that growing up in India takes care of alot of these social issues.
Just stay strong.

Warm wishes,
Sirisha

Chaitanya said...

I appreciate your show of strength.

You call them ignorant but these people belong to a so called highly civilized nation, which boasts of a high level of human development and an almost 100% literacy rate. They're not ignorant for if they were ignorant, they wouldnt've treated you that way. They treated you that way because they know you're not one of them - it brooks of typical European arrogance and the rationale for such behaviour is so deeply ingrained in their consciousness that they cant seem to understand that all humans are the same and that skin colour is just an adaptation developed by the body to climate.

In fact, I pity them. They're not ignorant but they're just fools.